Teaching and Learning Assistants
We are currently seeking to appoint inspirational Teaching and Learning Assistants to join us for the new academic year. This is a rare opportunity to join a premium school; helping to form and mould the structure and operation of the School. Staff will be given many opportunities to contribute to the life of the School both in and out of the classroom. It is expected that all colleagues will support one another in what will be an immensely exciting but also at times challenging project in establishing Brighton College Dubai as a true leader in the city of Dubai. It is expected that this will be achieved through the collective efforts of an exceptional and hardworking team with the united goal of ensuring that every child reaches their potential both academically and socially, by pushing boundaries and broadening horizons.
Brighton College Dubai is the fourth sister school of Brighton College UK, following in the footsteps of Brighton College Abu Dhabi (2011), Brighton College Al Ain (2013) and Brighton College Bangkok (2016).
Brighton College Dubai is comprised of a Preparatory School (for pupils aged 3 to 11) and a Senior School (11-18) and is to be a leading Independent-style British International School located in the United Arab Emirates. With a prime location, it will educate 2,000 pupils across the 3 to 18 age range on a striking new campus in the centre of Dubai, one of the world’s most innovative and exciting cities. It offers its pupils a world-class British education in a co-educational setting, leading to IGCSE and Alevel studies, and entry to the world’s leading universities.
The Preparatory School at Brighton College Dubai delivers an innovative and exciting curriculum for pupils in Years 1-6, following an enhanced UK National Curriculum. We aim to give our children a broad, exciting and holistic independent school experience, where there are no ceilings on what they can achieve and expectations in all areas are high. We help our children to find their passions and fulfil their potential, achieving more than they thought possible and taking pride in their achievements. In line with leading UK independent schools, we are committed to providing a safe and caring pastoral environment for the children within a very well-developed House System, led by House Masters and Mistresses. Beyond the classroom, Prep School pupils are encouraged to learn new skills and gain a broad range of interests; to give things a try and to learn to take risks. All our teachers offer co-curricular activities and are involved in all aspects of College life, both inside and outside the classroom.
We will strive to turn out well-educated, globally aware, tolerant and intellectually curious men and women who are ready to take a full, active and positive role in the life of Dubai, the United Arab Emirates and our world. Central to this vision are our teachers and learning support team.
We are pleased to announce Teaching & Learning Assistant positions for the new academic year 2019-20. A detailed job description is given below.
|Job Description:||Teaching and Learning Assistants|
|Responsible for:||The Teaching and Learning Assistant will support the Class Teacher to provide a premium teaching and learning experience for the pupils across the whole school day. TLAs may be assigned to Early Years or Prep School (Years 1-6)|
|Consulting with:||All Staff|
|Reporting to:||Head of Preparatory School|
- Essential qualities will include the ability to work collaboratively and to present to parents, pupils and colleagues a warm, engaging and approachable personality.
- Genuinely enjoy working with children
- Be a native English speaker
- Be able to manage time well and thrive in a busy and fast-paced working environment
- Show initiative and follow instructions carefully
- Have a high level of international and inter-cultural understanding
- Be a good communicator and make positive contributions to a team
- Be flexible and solution orientated
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the class teachers with teaching and learning activities and the preparation of supporting resources and materials
- Actively engage with pupils in a range of settings to develop and support their learning and promote their understanding
- Work alongside pupils to encourage their curiosity and develop their critical thinking about their experiences
- Look at ways of promoting pupil independence and fostering a love of learning.
- Support the class teacher to monitor, record and review the pupils’ attainment and progress and then catering for their next developmental steps
- Assessing pupils’ work and ensuring that the provisions being made remain appropriate to the pupils’ needs
- Where necessary, attend meetings with parents to support the class teacher in order to promote working partnerships that are effective in promoting pupil development
- Deliver concentrated support to small groups of students under instruction of the teacher
- Consistently encourage and model the College values and community spirit
- To promote pride in the College among the pupil body through high standards of dress, behaviour and commitment
- To maintain a professional relationship with both colleagues and parents and to promote the School’s best interests both in and out of working hours
- To ensure that all communication is acted upon appropriately and in a timely manner
- Work as a contributing member of the team by attending and participating in meetings and discussions as necessary
- To be fully committed to personal professional development, attending courses and meetings as agreed with the Head of School and generally keeping up to date with new initiatives
- To ensure that the classroom is an attractive, organised and stimulating working environment with relevant and regularly changed displays
- To assist the teachers in sharing children’s learning in different ways, including displays, learning journeys, shows and assembly presentations
- To be responsible for all College resources, particularly those in your care, reporting damage or loss to your line manager or the facilities manager, as appropriate
- To be in school prior to 7.40 am and until at least 4:00 pm
- To carry out any reasonable professional request made by Head of Prep from time to time
How to Apply:
All applications must consist of the following completed documents:
- Letter of application (maximum one and a half sides of Garamond 12) addressed to Mr Marco Longmore, Head Master of Brighton College Dubai. Please state clearly in your letter your experience, together with details of your co-curricular strengths and contributions. This should be attached to your electronic application.
- CV (maximum 4 sides) naming two referees, one of whom must be your current or most recent employer.
Submit completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Application for TLA – AY 2019 - 20.
Incomplete applications will not be considered, and that Brighton College Dubai reserves the right to make an appointment at any stage of the recruitment process.
Due to the expected high levels of interest in positions at the College, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted within 7 days of the closing date for applications. Closing date for applications will be on 31 May 2019.